9 Insane (but true) Facts About Migraine Headaches
We all can relate to the pain, nausea, ill-feeling, depression, irritability, light-headedness, sensitivity to light and noise that comes with a migraine headache. It can shut you down for 36-72 hours. So what caused your migraine in the first place?
1. The most common cause of migraines is food sensitivities.
Partially digested foods are absorbed and the body does not recognize them. Your immune system launches an attack on what it believes to be a foreign invader. The immune system's course of action is an allergic response, which results in specific food sensitivities or allergies. Pathogens create harmful toxins that get absorbed, particularly yeast/molds produce many toxins that are other causes associated with migraines like:
3. Leaky gut syndrome
4. Dysbiosis (imbalance of microbial colonies most commonly found in the digestive tract).
How in the world can food sensitivities cause a migraine?
This is where is gets tricky because the step between a migraine and food sensitivities is not clear, so there could be a number of possible pathogeneses.
5. Platelet aggregation, the release of histamine and serotonin can be caused by food allergies
6. Specifically, the cerebrovascular system can have an allergic reaction occur within it.
7. Changes in the blood vessels can be caused by the insufficient ability to digest proteins. These undigested proteins can result in pathogenic microbial putrefaction, and lead to the formation of vasoactive by-products. These by-products get absorbed and circulate in the blood stream.
So....where is the connection?
Undigested food particles=bacteria from food particles=allergic response=food sensitivities= toxins from bacteria=toxins absorbed in blood and transported
Referring back to points 5, 6 and 7, vascular and platelet instability are associate with migraines through a course of events of triggers or stressors. Keep in mind, the toxic by-products, from the bacteria, is now travelling throughout your body via the blood stream and their way to your nervous system. This means that your neurotransmitters are the next victim of your undigested food particles!
8. Overtime, you have a build up of stressors like:
- emotional stress
- oversleeping or lack of sleep
- emotional let down
- ingestion of specific food triggers (common food sensitivities are MSG, red wine, mold on food, figs, raisons, nitrates, citrus, dairy, nuts, chocolate)
- overloaded liver
- hypoglycemic episodes
- unstable blood sugar
- hormonal imbalance
- insufficient exercise
- smoking/2nd hand smoke
- pressure change
Let me emphasize...these are STRESSors!!
9. In the response to stress catecholamines (a release of hormones from the adrenal glands in a response to fight or flight), platelets aggregate and release serotonin which is a vasoconstrictor. The blood flow to the cerebral cortex is reduced. Sensitivity of the sympathetic nervous system is stressed, which causes the release of a mediator of pain. So, migraine suffers have lower serotonin levels from the increased serotonin turnover.
Many people turn to Tylenol for migraines. The question is...why does it work for some and not others?
Tylenol (Acetaminophen) interacts with foods that can interfere with acetaminophen absorption. What are these foods?
1. Foods high in pectin like apples, pears, oranges and don't forget the jam/jelly.
2. Large amounts of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and sprouts.
What can you use?
Forget trying to mask the pain and fix the problem. Chew your food into a paste before swallowing. A better choice to rid yourself of migraines is to take CoEnzyme Q10 as a preventative. It helps enzymes digest food, reduce cell damage in cells, an antioxidant to help protect from harmful pathogens, used for maintenance and growth in every cell. Vitamin B6 and B2 are a preventative, too. A good quality probiotic to put good bacteria back in your gut. Also, magnesium with calcium to help relax muscles. Plus, many migraine suffers have been found to be magnesium deficient. It'll take 6-8 weeks to feel the benefits.
Practitioner grade supplements are the best quality you can get. Visit my online store, sign up, browse my recommendations and get what you need delivered to your door. If you need some help, I'm just an email away.