The clinical definition for depression is based on the following criteria:
1. Either weight loss due to poor appetite or weight gain with increased appetite
2. Physical inactivity or hyperactivity
3. Decreased interest in activities or low sex drive
4. Hypersomnia or insomnia
5. Energy loss or fatigue
6. Inappropriate guilt or feeling worthless
7. Loss of concentration or reduced ability to think
8. Death or suicide thoughts that are reoccurring
With the presence of 5 of these symptoms, there is a definite indication of depression. An individual with 4 symptoms could be depressed too. You would definitely need to see a qualified doctor to be diagnosed. There are lifestyle changes that may help an individual develop a more positive mental attitude.
1. Exercise regularly
2. Practice stress reduction/relaxation techniques like deep breathing, yoga pose or meditation for 10-15 minutes every day
3. Laughter is a great medicine, so watch a hilarious movie or laugh with a...